Yesterday we began our transformation over on Mount Eagle Place. Our homeowner is a fascinating lady. Her garden is her sanctuary and she just completed having a quite large and beautiful “Travertina” patio installed. It is gorgeous. She is so excited after many years of living at her spot with a paver style patio – so many weeds and a constant sloping of the area. This new patio, a rather large investment, has been leveled and it’s about eight inches thick. It is set very tight, so no more room for weeds to push up. it’s really beautiful. (later today we will post a pic)
We started yesterday cleaning a bed that borders the side of the house and leading up to the front door. Photinia bushes provide a privacy hedge of sorts. Parkfairfax installed these bushes three years ago. But they are generously populated with leaves towards the top 12 inches, but from there down, very thinly populated leaf growth. Our plan is to dig out this bed around the bushes, and abate the soil with fresh organic soil and new fertilizer. We are hopeful this will stimulate new fresh leaf growth. We are planning to give it one season. If this does not produce new growth, the plan is to request their removal and plant new “Laurel” bushes next spring. We are giving it a chance And also in this bed we are also dividing plants and removing the larger stones bordering the bed by providing a generous deep edge around the perimeter. Time for a more finished and upgraded look. We put in three (3) hours on Tuesday.
Today we are back to complete this bed and move to the other bed towards the front of the property where there is a fairly steep slope, that does have a flat leveled area at the bottom. Here we will install a flowering ground cover. (4 ) hours today.
A lovely weather day ahead. Looking forward to more transformation.
Its a “good thing.”
Today we completed more weed removal, finished removing dying and dead debris from in and around the bushes, and finally laid six bags of new garden soil on the front sides the bed. Once the patio installer finishes on Friday, we will add more soil to the back side of the bushes and this bed will be ready for mulch. We are going to now remove all the bordering stones. Our homeowner has decided it looks much better and more finished without them. We totally agree. And she is thinking about purchasing two or three new blooming perennials for this bed, as there is plenty of room now to add a few plantings, which she may ask that we do for her.
It certainly looks fresh and very cleaned up, and we are very convinced and hopeful these bushes will thrive, now that they are being fed with fresh – everything.
As of this afternoon we have completed seven (7) hours. Much yet to accomplish, but it’s coming along
Final steps to begin on Friday. We are confidant this work will improve the growth of these Photinia Bushes and that was our primary goal.